Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Blessing in Disguise

This past Sunday, I initiated church hopping with one of my friends and we "hopped" our way to Gateway Alliance Church (the one across from Leons). I really liked how it was very multicultural and that they had a countdown on the screen before the start of service while the praise team was already rocking it. The PT was kind of a YC style, very modern and loud, though a lot of the songs were unfamiliar to me. I also liked how their news of the week was made into a video format with two hosts Q&A instead of having someone read straight from a bullentin. It was more engaging and interactive that way and a few good laughs here and there.

What stuck out the most to me was the sermon. It was about money and giving our share back to God. The pastor was from Scotland and had a heavy accent, but he delivered his message very well. He told the congregation how we tend to think of giving as losing something, losing monetary value, decreasing our bank account, taking something out of our pocket and not getting anything in return. Well, we are giving to the Lord right? But, multiple times, God talks about how the weak will be the strong, the poor will be the rich, and how abundantly he will bless those that give. "Don't think of giving in terms of losing something, think of it as gaining returns!" In his words, when pastors preach about God's love, they want you to have that love, when they preach about forgiveness they want you to have that forgiveness, and when money is preached, its not about taking money from you, but giving it back to you through blessings! So we ought not to think about tithing as a negative thing, because it's not, in fact giving a 1/10 is only a start (did you know to tithe means to give a 10th?).

This message really spoked to me because earlier that morning I had decided to donate $50 to a friend going on a mission trip this summer. At first, I didn't want to give that much, but I really felt that value was from God, so that's what I decided on. But I kept feeling uncertain about this value because I was like, I'm losing money, and I'm just working part time, and I could save that amount for something else. I felt stingy and wanted that money for myself instead. But hearing this sermon relieved my uncertainities or so to speak, the devil's temptations in telling me to keep that money for my personal pleasures.

To my suprise, two days later, I did reap the benefits (God sure does work fast). I got my first cheque for this coming year's GST/HST credit and it was close to double the amount I had donated. I felt it was another reassurance from God.

But...

Today, I come home to find out I got a speeding ticket dated May 22, 2011. Way to delay my mail Canada Post. I guess the money came in time for something I hadn't expected.

A blessing? Only God would know.


Give thanks with a grateful heart

No comments:

Post a Comment